Re: AH! school bites. I need help on the "70s" (any sayings?)

From: Mark Johnson (mAARk@wrlc.org)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 09:41:16 EST

As someone who graduated from High School in '74, I have to correct a
couple of these and add a few more ;-). (Great list though!)

>"Just the facts, mama" , Sergeant Friday*, Ahh, I can't recall the tv
>shows name, but say it to any one over 34 and they will know what you're
>talking about.
Close "Just the facts, mam" (hmm, I just noticed my spell checker tried to
change mam to mama?) The show was Dragnet.

>"Sorry Dave, I can't do that" computer's line from Space Odyssey, 2000
>(?), movie. From the 70's, but used more in the 80's in ads, etc. And I
>can't recall the computer's name either, but I'm sure some one will. Al
>that it, I think, maybe.

The name was HAL, each letter one shy of IBM (clever huh?). Where I hung out
"Open the pod doors, HAL" was more popular or sing the song "Daisy" slowing
down to a halt like HAL did when Dave pulled the plug.

"Far out" was kool, until John Denver said it. In the late '70 it can back as
"Far f*cking out" in fact almost any phrase with "f*cking" inserted became
kool for a while. Like " Un-f*cking -believable" and so on.

I agree "that '70s show is a great source of '70s trivia. Long live the
"smiley face"!

Mark Johnson (mAARk) Pasadena, Maryland. '92 Dakota V6/Auto daily driver!
1970 AAR 'Cuda, Sassy Grass Green, weekend cruiser and rough show car.
1973 Challenger, Med. Blue, 318/2bbl,daily driver,future 360 muscle car!
1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe,440/auto,under construction, future street rod!
See my cars and my huge AAR gallery @ http://aar.moparweb.com (Thanks Chris!)