Re: Pro-Stock Truck Races

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 12:59:17 EDT

Yeah, I've really been suffering through this, too. I figure the problem
has to do with the high speeds reached and the greater frontal area of
the Dakota compared to the S-10. The S-10s are quite a bit narrower than
the Daks so they don't have to move as much air. As powerful as the
Mopar engines are, having to push more air than an S-10 at 175+mph needs
even more HP. The S-10s, I believe, are winning based on their relative
size. If the Mopar engines were in a manger (heaven forbid), I am sure
they would beat the chebbies. By the way, where are all of the mangers
this year since trucks have to qualify based on speed not marques? I
think the effort is valiant, but losing is still losing. As beautiful as
the new Dak shape is, it is its own worst enemy.

This is like what some have seen when they get near 100 mph in their
modified stock Daks. The truck does well getting you up to that point,
but beyond that physics really put a damper on things.

Of course, this is my theory and theories are probably like opinions. We
all know about opinions and what they're like. your theory may vary.

Richard in San Antonio