Re: Sticking Door Locks

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 12:32:36 EDT

At 05:02 PM 10/13/98 , you wrote:

>I have a '92 sport with sticking door locks. I have to use the key and
>push on the lock to lock the door and very carefully, but forcefully
>unlock it with the key. I have to lube them every couple of months. I
>have tried everything including WD-40 (which I later found out was a
>mistake), silicone, and lithium. Everytime I relube them I find that
>they have rusted up. I spray rust off on them, use a brush to get the
>rust off, blow them dry with an air compressor and let them dry for 30
>minutes before I spray them with lube. What am I doing wrong? Any
>suggestions?

Where are you finding this rust? I assume it's on the outside of the lock
where you stick the key. If you have rust on the outside, then you probably
have rust on the inside in which case your only option is to replace the
locks. If the locks are not rusted on the inside, then your problem is that
there is so much crud inside the locks from the constant lubrication that
they are hard to turn. There may be some kind of solvent that you can spray
in the locks while they are still on the door, but I have no experience
with this so I can't make any recommendation about that. The best method is
to remove the locks and soak them in a solvent to dissolve and remove the
junk inside. Disassembling the locks is *not* recommended without the
proper tools. Of course, if you're going to go to the trouble of removing
your door panels to get to the locks, you may want to just go ahead and get
new locks anyway. Without disassembling the locks there is no way to know
for sure what the condition of the inside of the lock is or how long they
will remain in good working order. New ones are not that expensive.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6  3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

I would not want to live in a cartoon world... Too many people have too much access to too much dynamite.