Re: Cat converters Suck

From: Michael DuBose (mdubose@vt.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 21:48:36 EDT

Classic description of a bad cat. What has happened inside of your cat is
the ceramic that "filters" the unburt gas, it really burns it but we won't
get into that, has broken lose from the inside of your cat. This can be
caused by age, the cat hitting something, or the heat caused the ceramic to
melt. It can cause a loss in performance exspecially if it has melted the
ceramic. I had the cat on old car go out and I decided to open it uo and
almost half of the ceramic was melted which would cause a restriciton in
flow. The main reason for the caramic mealting is that the cat has too much
unburt gas going into it and the cat tries to "burn" all of it had it gets
overheated. A car running rich or pinging could cause too much gas to go
into the cat. Sounds like to me that you are unfortunaly going to have to
replace the cat. Oh one more thing befoer you go to the muffler shop to get
it replaced make sure that it isn't a heat-shield rattleing.

Mike