Re: "Found" 3 MPG

From: Biff Byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 08:08:41 EDT

You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I, and here's the first thing I
have to say. It's damn well about time someone else came up with some decent
mileage figures for a Dak. For the last few months, all I've seen on the
three Yahoo groups is people saying crazy things about their mileage. To
Droo, Andy and Aaron; I EXPECT those kind of numbers out of my '95 Sport. If
I'm under 20, it's time to get under the hood and check something out. As
for your accountant customer, I have no clue as to what kind of driver he
may be, or how much he knows about cars. But I am a professional driver, and
I have my last 100 months of gas purchases on my database. And I can show
several months in the last 18 where I have driven in excess of 6,000 miles
and averaged a cumulative 22.1 or better. And that's at no more that 300
feet above sea level.
I can give you a perfect example of how stupid people can be in terms of
taking care of their vehicles. Sunday evening, I went over to my best
friend's house to work on my mom's '94 LHS. After washing the LHS, I was
looking under the hood of the truck Wayne bought last July when he came out
and asked me if I'd checked the oil. I said, oh, sure. I went over and got a
red rag and pulled his dipstick. This truck was sitting on about a 25 degree
slope downward in his driveway, so I figured it should show about 1 quart
over. After pulling the stick 3 times, not one friggin sign of oil on the
stick. I went down the street about a half mile to a Kragen and picked up 3
quarts of GTX 10W-40, threw it in and got about 70 lbs on the gauge at about
1500rpm. Was this some cheap work truck? Not quite, '98 Laramie 1500 QC 4x4,
5.2L, 46RE, 3.9 locker. Looks like the day it came down the line. I let him
know that I was a Mopar man before he was born, and that he better never
ever do that to a mopar again. I taught this kid to drive about 16 years
ago, I guess I didn't teach him enough. Anyway, that's one hell of an
example of how lazy and stupid some people can be when they think no one is
looking. Then they come to those of us who really know how to take care of a
vehicle and beg for help to save them from themselves. That's the type of
driver who cries about poor performance and mileage, you can only do so much
for them. The rest of us just hop in our Daks every day, and go crusin. Me:
15 years, 3 1/2 months, 3 Daks, 550,000 total miles. Would I buy another
3.9L tomorrow? Absolutely. Biff Byrum