...sigh... what's next?

From: miggitymike (miggitymike@fast4x4.net)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 01:31:53 EDT

Hey ya'll,
okay... here's a nice long story, topped off with a question at the end...
Lately, the ol' premag has had a attitude problem... slight surges in
acceleration at any throttle position...
so, Wednesday night I go out to start the Premag to go see a show... it
fires up, then dies... try again... nothing... just turns over. After
waiting for a while for a wrecker, watching the guy try to get it on the
wrecker (it's actually somewhat amusing), my mechanic buddy resolves that it
was the fuel pump. While replacing the fuel pump, all of the rubber fuel
hoses had to be replaced also (13 years old... lookin' rough in that tank).
So, $300 later, the truck is running. I drive it to a gig about an hour
away, and it does fine. Drive it all day Saturday, once again fine... untill
Saturday night. On my way to my Sat gig, she overheats... water pump.. back
on the wrecker it goes.
We spent all day on the water pump. Did a 180 t-stat and new plugs while we
were at it. It has a new cap and rotor that were done with the fuel pump....
well, new problem has arisen (yay!). Now, the surges in acceleration are
much worse. Sometimes it bogs to the point where it feels like it's gonna'
stall, and sometimes it falls on it's face like it's hitting the rev limiter
over and over and over. I'm thinking it's spark related, and has been
accentuated now that it has nice new plugs and all of the cylinders are
firing properly.
Any ideas? I'm stumped...

thanks guys!

-miggity