Re: If this bill gets passed....good bye DML.

From: Nick Shue (nshue@8dot3.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 00:59:34 EDT

Direct from the USPS web site (www.usps.gov)

E-mail Rumor Completely Untrue

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 21, 1999
Release No. 45

E-MAIL RUMOR COMPLETELY UNTRUE

WASHINGTON - A completely false rumor concerning the U.S. Postal Service is
being circulated on Internet e-mail. As a matter of fact, the Postal Service
has learned that a similar hoax occurred recently in Canada concerning
Canada Post.

The e-mail message claims that a "Congressman Schnell" has introduced "Bill
602P" to allow the federal government to impose a 5-cent surcharge on each
e-mail message delivered over the Internet. The money would be collected by
Internet Service Providers and then turned over to the Postal Service.

No such proposed legislation exists. In fact, no "Congressman Schnell"
exists.

The U.S. Postal Service has no authority to surcharge e-mail messages sent
over the Internet, nor would it support such legislation.

Complete Link
(http://new.usps.com/cgi-bin/uspsbv/scripts/content.jsp?D=13643&B=-10830)

Just as a sanity check, here's another link
(http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/pending/email.htm)

This has been floating around the internet since 1999.

I love urban legends.. Hobby of mine. (Beside my bad-ass Dak.)

--Nick