Re: RE: V6 Intake Manifold ATTN Bernd

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 15:09:53 EST

SilverEightynine@aol.com ("Tom (Silver89)") wrote in
<3A4B817A.9B5F3216@aol.com>:

>Thanks Bernd - thats what Iwas thinking myself. I was wondering about
>the fuel pump and/or fuel delivery system. Would I be able to just hook
>up the supply line to the MPFI manifold? or do you think I might need to
>change the fuel systemtoo?

  Do you know anyone who is good with sheet metal? One of the (many)
little projects running around in the back of my brain has been to make an
"MPI" for the V-6. I suspect the pre-magger has the old, LA style intake
mounting bolts as opposed to the vertical Magnum ones, so you would
probably have to do some work to adapt the Magnum manifold to the pre-mag.
Plus, the stock beer barrel is fairly restrictive, so as long as you've got
to do the work, why not fab up a custom sheet metal intake? Weld or epoxy
in some injetor bungs (available from MSD and elsewhere, I'm sure), you'll
also need a fuel rail; a Magnum 6 rail may work, I suspect you may be
looking at replacing the fuel system, but I don't know for sure as I don't
know what pressure the TPI system runs at. You're probably looking at
replacing a good portion of the wiring harness too, and running a Magnum
computer. (Which may require new or different sensors.) What might be the
cheapest (and possibly the easiest) route would be to try to use the pre-
mag injector signals to control the MPI injectors. You'd probably have to
fire them in batch or bank mode as opposed to multi-port, in which case I
guess it comes down to asking "what are we really gaining here?" :-) I
would suspect that you probably wouldn't see much benefit from using
multiple injectors unless you actually fire them individually (aside from
better fuel distribution.)

  Well, that was quite the ramble! I don't know if it helps at all; just
draining some of the thoughts from my brain on the off chance that you can
use some of it. :-)

TTYL!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ----- -. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ --- -'