RE: Sub 12 Neon Turbo-Truth or Facts-Jon

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 01:31:13 EST

STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil (Stlaurent Mr Steven) wrote in
<A58A344E318AD21190C5004095103E7201885172@mctssa02.mctssa.usmc.mil>:

>All it generated from these last messages is, I WANT THE TRUTH not BS.
>If you are running 26PSI, so be it. However, claiming that it is
>running 10PSI and no internal part modification, this is beyond
>exaggeration Jon. I rather here the facts to see if any of it is

   Its possible I missed some of the thread, and if so, I apologize, but
where did the idea that he is running 10psi come from? Was it a private e-
mail conversation with Len, or did someone on the list mention it? I'm
just curious as to who is trying to spread BS, since I haven't seen it
myself. My impression of the thread has been "hey, here's this really fast
neon out-running a viper!" Everyone goes "hey, cool!", and then all of a
sudden there is hostility and claims of lies and BS. I guess it sort've
took me by surprise. Again, maybe I missed a relavant post in the thread?

>applicable on another toy. Now, what can a turbo do? Come and check out
>the Roush Twin Turbo Mustang V-6, which double the HP output before I
>sold it. Can it survive the street - questionable since I don't have
>enough data to confirm it. Looking at the twin turbo Porches and it only
>generates around 420HP with an 6er. Does it sub 11s in the 1/4 mile?
>No...the Viper will still beat it.

    I am well aware of what a turbo can do; I have done a great deal of
research in preperation for a twin turbo install on my Dakota. :-)
Incidentally, the Hahn web page estimates Len is currently at about 600hp.

>Jon, if by chance, there is a possibility of a fast sub 11s 1/4 mile
>sub-compact car Neon and survive on the streets for everyday driving, I
>will be purchasing the car from my dealer tomorrow.

  Sure its possible... Almost anything is possible if you throw enough
money at it. :-)

>Then here comes this dialog...my car can outrun the Viper. I heard from
>the ricer wanna-be cannot afford a real sport car, and now our own
>owners. My approach is simple: applied the same logic to both cars and
>see that is faster, since the Neon is not stock with the current
>equipment. Add one Garret Turbo unit to the GTS and see what happens.
>Jon, in a way, I defending the Viper owners of a true meaning what a
>real sport car can produce. Not one run at 26PSI before cracking heads
>or blocks before resetting it for street driving. Again

   As I posted before, to each his own. I assume from your above statement
that you talked to Len and he said that his car can outrun a Viper? If so,
what's wrong with that? His car obviously CAN outrun a Viper, and we have
all seen the video to prove it. :-) As far as not being able to afford a
real sports car... Since when is it a crime to not be filthy stinking
rich? I hope I'm wrong, but are you actually condemning this guy just
because he doesn't have a lot of money? I would hate to see what you'd
think of the folks on the JY Turbo list; those guys have put together cars
out of parts they scrounged in junkyards. What would you think of a car
that can waste a Viper in the 1/4 for less than $5K? Its being done every
day! The po' folk deserve to have fun too!

  Sure, you can apply the same logic to the Viper; heck the Stryker Twin
Turbo is living proof of what happens when you do that. :-) They claim it
would be good for 7 second 1/4mi passes if set up for drag racing; set up
for road racing, it runs 9s. But, if someone can't afford a Viper, or
maybe they want something different, what's wrong with that?

  I don't think anyone here has suggested that Viper owners should dump
them for Neons. Heck, given a choice, I think just about all of us would
go for the Viper over the Neon. :-) But, that particular Neon happens to
go down the 1/4mi faster than a Viper. That's a big deal to some people,
and means nothing to others. To each his own...

>Since I been there and done that with a 700 plus HP 69 Chevelle SS, I
>know what raw power can mean. Did I have a turbo? NOT! If I did, I
>would be in the 1xxx HP range...hehehehehehe

   Couldn't afford the turbo, eh?

    JUST KIDDING!!!!! =D

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ----- -. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ --- -'