Re: FW: Leaving the DML, thanks for the help-Don't Leave - Go Yahoo.....

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 20:12:49 EDT

We're kind of getting off-topic here, but I think this needs to be "out
there."

Most companies have a policy about personal use of email and web in the
office. Whether you're getting your DML mail @yahoo.com or at your work
address, you are still using company resources for personal reasons. To
a point, most companies will have no problem with this, but the "limit"
will depend on many things.

It's not about clogging the company mailserver (see below for more on
that), it's about using company resources and your paid time for
non-work-related stuff. Most of us don't have a job that's directly
DML-related, unfortunately.

If you're using your work email account, keep in mind that corporate
email grows at an *astronomical* pace. At my company, we're in the
middle of a pretty bad space crunch. A note was sent out to users
asking that they delete what they can; overnight, 5GB was freed.
Imagine how much is "created" daily if yuo've got a small fraction of
your users deleting that much in one day. Now, if you're getting
100-200 DML messages per day, that's gonna build up in a big hurry.