360 PCM 1/4 mile test results are in........long!

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 23:28:53 EDT

Well I had been promising to deliver the results of my computer test for the
360 I have in my truck. I was testing 3 computers. The first was an
un-identified one that I belive was a stock 318 PCM, the second was a 1995
318 Mopar PCM, and the third was a 1993 360 Mopar PCM.

I was planning to give results on 1/4 mile times and MPH improvements, but,
as always happens, problems arose. Tonight was a bad day for a lot of people
at Milan Dragway. Everyone was breaking stuff, all over the track. Traction
was bad from oil, tranny fluid, rear-end lube, and coolant. Besides
traction, it was even dangerous, on one run I had to shut down before the
finish line because I was starting to get loose! That was scary! Its a shame
too, because it was going to be one of my best ever runs. I still stomped
the Mustang Cobra hard even letting off the gas. I ended up running a 13.84
@ 95 mph, this was slow because I was running 102+mph before, If only I was
able to stay in it!

The last few runs, the fastest, were plaiged by problems such as oil on the
track and a dying clutch! This was probably my last run at Milan for now
untill I get a new clutch, I power shifted fourth the last run and the
clutch never engaged. Previous to this, it was slipping on power-shifts,
which made getting consistent results hard. So I decided to give the results
in 1/8 mile times instead, which were not affected as much because I was
still in second at the 1/8 mile point. All runs were made with 30 lb.
injectors installed.

Oh well, here are the results with 1/8 mile times...
(1/4 times were included, but were influenced by a slipping clutch)

Unknown stock computer
(later I concluded that this was actually a Mopar PCM!):
run 1
60 ft-----------2.176
330ft----------6.189
1/8 ET--------9.322
1/8 MPH-----79.34
(1/4 ET-------14.238)
(1/4 MPH----101.16)

Run2
60 ft-----------2.302
330ft----------6.192
1/8 ET--------9.272
1/8 MPH-----79.50
(1/4 ET-------14.189)
(1/4 MPH----100.63)

Run3
60 ft-----------2.220
330ft----------6.054
1/8 ET--------9.141
1/8 MPH-----79.21
(1/4 ET-------14.069)
(1/4 MPH----100.47)

Sam's Mopar 318 PCM

Run1
60 ft-----------2.142
330ft----------5.925
1/8 ET--------8.979
1/8 MPH-----80.24
(1/4 ET-------13.827)
(1/4 MPH----102.29)

Run2
60 ft-----------2.178
330ft----------6.037
1/8 ET--------9.124
1/8 MPH-----79.37
(1/4 ET-------14.045)
(1/4 MPH----100.68)

Run3
60 ft-----------2.286
330ft----------6.061
1/8 ET--------9.112
1/8 MPH-----79.66
(1/4 ET-------13.999)
(1/4 MPH----101.51)

Mopar 360 PCM
Run1 (had to lift at the end, oil and oil-dry on track)
60 ft-----------2.220 (bad 2nd gear wheelspin)
330ft----------6.003
1/8 ET--------9.004
1/8 MPH-----81.65 (best ever!)
(1/4 ET-------13.851)
(1/4 MPH----94.95)

Run2 (last run due to bad clutch,
60 ft-----------2.168
330ft----------5.865 (best ever w/street tires)
1/8 ET--------8.864 (best ever!)
1/8 MPH-----80.64 (2nd best ever)
(1/4 ET-------14.444)
(1/4 MPH----74.72) 2-3 and 3-4 shift had heavy slippage, not recoverable

My conclusions, so far all testing leads to the 360 PCM as being most
aggressive. I was not able to get accurate 1/4 mile times due to the fried
stock clutch, which was causing too much slippage 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

Next I will be testing (after a new clutch) the 360 computer with 19# , 24#,
and 30# injectors. I know from the A/F guage that this computer with 30#
injectors runs extremely rich, it is off the scale at WOT. I really think
that good 19# injectors would work for any engine that is not too radical,
if it is radical then 24# would work well. Don't go with #30's!

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph