RE: Re: RE: Fuel pressure release valve (Bernd)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 01:16:28 EDT

On any domestic fuel cap, once you remove it, the pressure it released. The
flap has nothing to do with it. If you look closely, you'll see two holes
on either side of the flap and one on the bottom. Those are there for
overflow. And...in case anyone wants to know why that flap is there...it's
for emissions. Same thing with the size of the opening. If you tamper with
the size of the opening (or remove the flap), and the Smog Tech actually
checks it (like we were required to do in the BAR-90 days), you will fail a
"Visual" inspection. The size was made to prevent people from putting
regular (leaded) fuel in their tanks back in 1988.

You can also relieve any pressure in the tank by removing the vacuum line to
the EVAP Purge Solenoid (Big vacuum pot looking thingy attached to the
firewall on V8's and manifold on V6's). Since the EVAP can holds fuel
vapors until the engine reaches Closed Loop (then it purges into the
manifold), you can relieve the pressure this was as well. (Just don't smoke
near the vacuum line when removing it...and NO, I haven't ever done that.)

- Bernd